This is part 7 of the Betwiser Sports Betting Beginners Guide. On this page, you’ll learn my golden rules for not becoming addicted to online sports betting, the reasons why people get addicted, the signs of addiction and help that you can call upon
I bet on sports for entertainment, to win money and to be more involved in the teams that I follow.
It’s a fact that gambling is an addiction for some people. It’s also a fact that since gambling has been introduced online, there has been an increase in the amount of people who have become addicted.
Obviously this is not a good thing, and I would not want this to happen to anyone who is considering taking up betting online on sports.
If you feel like you have an addictive personality, maybe this is not for you?
I have some specific rules that I follow with discipline. I do this so I don’t come to a point where I do have a problem becoming addicted to online sports betting.
My unbreakable golden rules
These 6 rules have become a habit for me now. I don’t need to consciously think about it because they have become internalised. My rules are:
- I never expect to win. I work out to the best of my abilities the outcome, place my bet and then I enjoy the show
- I never bet with money that I can’t afford to lose. I do this by setting myself a budget and a time frame to spend that budget.
- I always bet within my means. This even includes all those “sure bets” – I still bet within my means
- I don’t bet under pressure of any kind. If I feel that I’m rushed, or if I know that my judgement is clouded, I’ll not bet
- I never bet for the sake of betting. I’ve tried this before and it ain’t fun. These are the bets that can make you feel downright miserable
- I never bet under the influence of alcohol. If you drink or take any other substances, stay away from betting
By setting yourself strict rules to follow, like the points above, it will help you control your betting limits so that you can enjoy the process.
It’s fine if you don’t completely agree with my rules. After all, it’s just my rules. What I recommend you do is to write down some of your own that you will live by.
Whatever you write down, make sure it’s available to view in an easy location and that you actually follow it!
Why people bet on sports
There are many reasons why we gamble and it’s usually different from person to person. The list below contains the reasons why I think people gamble. If you can think of any others, please let me know in the comments section.
- For Entertainment sake
- For the excitement of the game
- To win money
- To get into social circles
- It helps you forget about your troubles
- It offers something to do
What are your reasons behind gambling? Is it one of the points listed above?
Signs that you might be addicted to sports betting
I found a good list from Wiki that lists symptoms to being addicted to gambling. If you have 5 or more of the follow list, you should seek help because it’s likely your gambling has taken a turn to the dark side.
- Preoccupation. The subject has frequent thoughts about gambling experiences, whether past, future, or fantasy.
- Tolerance. As with drug tolerance, the subject requires larger or more frequent wagers to experience the same “rush”.
- Withdrawal. Restlessness or irritability associated with attempts to cease or reduce gambling.
- Escape. The subject gambles to improve mood or escape problems.
- Chasing. The subject tries to win back gambling losses with more gambling.
- Lying. The subject tries to hide the extent of his or her gambling by lying to family, friends, or therapists.
- Loss of control. The person has unsuccessfully attempted to reduce gambling.
- Illegal acts. The person has broken the law in order to obtain gambling money or recover gambling losses. This may include acts of theft, embezzlement, fraud, or forgery.
- Risked significant relationship. The person gambles despite risking or losing a relationship, job, or other significant opportunity.
- Bailout. The person turns to family, friends, or another third party for financial assistance as a result of gambling.
Do you have 5 or more of the symptoms listed above? If so the below information should help you in finding suitable help.
Getting help with online sports betting
The government has taken a proactive approach to help people with their gambling addiction. If you feel the need to get support find the most convenient places from the below list.
- Gambling Help Online – http://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/
- Wesley Gambling Counselling Services – http://www.wesleymission.org.au/
New South Wales
- Gambling Help – http://www.gamblinghelp.nsw.gov.au/
- Gambling Impact Society – http://www.gisnsw.org.au/
- Problem Gambling – http://www.problemgambling.vic.gov.au/
- Gambling Explained – http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/
- Gaming in Queensland – http://www.olgr.qld.gov.au/
Australia Capital Territory
- Problem Gambling – http://www.problemgambling.act.gov.au/
- Problem Gambling Help in SA – http://www.problemgambling.sa.gov.au/
- Department of Justice – http://www.nt.gov.au/
- Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor – http://www.rgl.wa.gov.au/
- Responsible Wagering – http://www.rwwa.com.au/
- Gambling Support – http://www.gamblingsupport.org/
- Treasury and Finance – http://www.treasury.tas.gov.au/
Over here at Betwiser, we strongly believe in responsible gambling. If you have a problem please contact one of the organisations above.
That’s all folks.
So that’s it. You have come to the end of the guide. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading it and that all the spelling, grammar what other mistakes were all bearable!
If you have any suggestions and/or improvements for this blog please let me know. Otherwise I forward to hearing from you via blog comments or through the Contact page.
Once again there are many ways to stay connected with Betwiser by using any of the following ways:
- Subscribe to the Betwiser RSS feed
- Get E-mail updates by sending in the space on the right
- Connect on Twitter
- Become a fan on Facebook